Throughout our 23-year partnership with Lihuk Panaghiusa Inc., a non-profit and non-governmental organisation in the Philippines, PACE has sponsored scholarships for hundreds of children in Cebu, involved parents in service trips to build libraries and edible gardens and inspired UWCSEA students to volunteer their time through the Gap Year and Project Week initiatives.
As a result of our support:
- 75% of Lihuk scholars continued to tertiary education vs the national average of 35%rs.
- More than 200 Lihuk scholars are college graduates.
- A further 160 scholars are high school graduates.
- 225,000 – 250,000 hot meals have been prepared for scholars since 2010..$10,000 in emergency funds provided to Lihuk families after natural disasters.
The PACE Scholarships Programme has three components:
- Scholar Sponsorships – Financial assistance for Lihuk scholars to cover school-related expenses throughout their primary, secondary and college years.
- Nutrition Programme – Provides every scholar, with a hot lunch every school day. The meals are prepared by parent volunteers at the Lihuk centres. Some of the vegetables are sourced from Edible Gardens created by PACE in 2019.
- Library Programme – 20 years ago PACE helped to create two libraries for the Lihuk scholars. In recent years PACE raised funds to refurbish one of the libraries and re-stock the shelves. This was completed in 2023 with the help of UWCSEA Grade 11 during Project Week.