WHAT IS IT?
Local Service is for those looking for local, flexible, and hands-on service opportunities in Singapore. These opportunities include cooking meals for migrant workers, accompanying children who live with food insecurity to purchase groceries for their families, and volunteering to read and lead activities for children from low-income neighborhoods in Singapore. We partner with local organizations like Children’s Wishing Well. These volunteer opportunities are typically one-off and are the perfect way to serve the community without a long-term commitment.
Aside from befriending patients, we hold various activities at the Hospice including:
- Hosting choirs, dance groups, and yoga instructors to lead our events. Some of our partner performers are The American Women’s Association International Choir, The Jitterbugs dance group The Cantonese Opera group, and The Casa Flamenco dancers.
- Arts and crafts activities.
- Annual field trips. We’ve toured the Sports Hub, the SEA Aquarium, and Gardens by the Bay.
- Cultural appreciation days were hosted by various nationality groups from UWCSEA e.g. the Korean Community offered fan dancers, the Japanese Community made sushi, and the Nordic Community celebrated Lucia at the Hospice.
- Festival celebrations include Diwali, Christmas, and CNY.
For the last two years, with the pandemic, we have not been allowed to visit the Hospice Center. Nonetheless, we continue to support the patients by:
- Donating groceries.
- Contributing meals to the patients.
- Sharing inspirational and entertaining videos from volunteers and performers.
With the restrictions lifted during the course of 2021, we have gradually resumed our in-person visits – mainly doing exercise routines with the patients. We were also able to celebrate the various festivals by contributing meals with 5 people only. We are slowly returning to our previous level of activities with the HCA Day Hospice and also exploring new partners to volunteer with here in Singapore.